Every child and looked after young person must receive a Personal Educational Plan (PEP) – this is a legal requirement. This document should establish clear objectives, milestones and targets, both academic and behavioural, with the aim of encouraging dialogue between social workers, schools and carers. Other existing plans should fit into, and be integrated with, the PEP. It is the responsibility of the young person’s social worker to initiate the personal education plan by contacting the school’s ‘designated teacher’ for children and young people in public care. The personal education plan should be in place within 20 days of the young person becoming a child or young person in public care or moving to a new school